Windows CE 2.00 Testing

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:47 PM
Initial Testing on HP 360lx running Windows CE 2.00

I have managed to successfully install and run the .NET Compact Framework on my H/PC. I did run into a few problems, which were mainly memory related as my 360lx only has 4mb of internal memory. The installation process asked for the destination folder, which I attempted to select my 1Gb CF card, each attempt caused the installer to bring up an "Out of Memory" error message and ask whether or not to use the selected folder. In the end I told it to just use the CF card and it installed without any further error.

After which I tried to run the test "Hello World" program that had been added to the Start Menu. I then ran into another "Out of Memory" error so checked the internal memory usage made sure there was around 2Mb Program Memory. The framework and test program uses about 1Mb of internal memory when running so having this much free to allocate is a must.

Like running .NET apps on the PocketPC platform there is about 20 seconds "thinking" time before the desired application appears.

On the face of it this really is the lowest of lows to test the framework on, anything with more internal memory will be much better.

Further testing with a bigger program is required to really gauge how "hungry" the framework and programs are.

Any advise or others findings welcome!
Oct 28, 2007 at 5:31 AM
pete, thanks for the report. The installation runs best if you choose the default folder. It is true that you have to adjust your memory/disk RAM to have as much free disk as possible before the install. After that you should move it back to make sure you have as much free memory available to run the HelloWorld application.

It is possible to have some sort of setup that would have some of the files in CF so they don't take space from the limited RAM.
Oct 28, 2007 at 12:45 PM
Tried it again with my spare 360lx using the default path and assigning as much internal memory as possible for storage and I did still get an "Out of Memory" error upon attempting to install. Installing to the internal memory bearly leaves enough memory free to run the framework and the test program though. I will do some more testing but it does run successfully from a CF card (puts about 1.7Mb on there) you just have to specify it in the installer and also ignore the error message.
Oct 21, 2008 at 8:18 AM
Edited Oct 21, 2008 at 8:19 AM
Hadn't noticed this post before. Think I'll try installing .NET CF 1.0 SP3 on a Storage Card on one of my CE 2.xx devices later on.

Meanwhile, I've tried installing (to the default location) the most recent CE 2.00 SH3 release (7/14/08) on an HP 620LX  I just got. Installs fine, but I'm getting the "illegal operation" message when I try to run a .NET CF 1.0 app (including HelloWorld.exe.net). First device on which I've had this negative result with the latest release. Weird.
Oct 23, 2008 at 1:16 AM
Make sure you have "clean" system. No extra programs,SP,hotfix and such.
Do you have another device to try with the same OS and processor?
Oct 23, 2008 at 4:45 AM
This was the first thing I installed on the 620LX. Maybe HP put some stuff in ROM that doesn't play nice with the runtime files.

I have successfully tested .NET CF 1.0 SP3 on two other CE 2.0 SH3 devices I've already mentioned: the 360LX and the Casio PA-2400U.