Windows CE 2.11 Testing

Oct 28, 2007 at 4:30 PM
Initial Testing on HP Jornada 680 running Windows CE 2.11

I have successfully installed and run the framework and "Hello World" program. I can report that the Minimise/Maximise/Restore buttons work (which are not present in CE 2.00) however there could be a memory leak within this part of the framework as maximising, restoring, minimising, restoring several times showed that a few kilobytes were used each time. Initial memory usage is about the same as with Windows CE 2.00.

Unlike running .NET apps on the PocketPC platform there is virtually no "thinking" time before the desired application appears.

NOTE: I did not have to adjust the installation path or tweak the memory, the Jornada has 16Mb internal memory which is more than enough.

Any advise or others findings welcome!
Coordinator
Oct 29, 2007 at 1:05 AM
Thanks pete for trying it out and reporting your findings back. I'm not sure what the deal is with the memory leak you are seeing but how the memory is used depends on the GC garbage collector and it may collect the used memory you are seeing at some time. Also keep in mind that this release is NETcf 1.0 with no service packs (SP). There were some minor issues addressed in the SP released later for NETcf 1.0.
Based on your successful tryout I will remove the (BETA) status from this release. Thanks again for your help.
Oct 29, 2007 at 1:13 AM
No worries, glad I could be of some assistance.

I will try and find some time to put a few small programs together to give both CE 2.00 and CE 2.11 a bit more of a test. It would be interesting to see how a larger program affects the memory usage on both platforms.

Perhaps the service pack updates will solve the (all be it minor) issue I found.
Nov 3, 2007 at 10:03 AM
When I installed the program on my HP Jornada 690, It doesn't work :(

It says "Fatal Progam Error" when I ran the "Helloworld"

the details are: Program:netexec.exe;Execption:0x0000005;Address:010f2272
Nov 3, 2007 at 10:09 AM
also the SAME error with my NEC R730(MIPS)
Nov 3, 2007 at 11:25 AM
Please could you tell me what programs you have running/installed on your Jornada 690 and if you have any peripherals added (CF cards, wireless, etc) when you run the program.

Also how much free internal memory is it showing after installing the framework to its default path? Or have you installed it onto a CF card?

Although I'm not the developer, I hope with the answers to these questions it might shed some light on what could be causing the problems. My Jornada 680 was cleaned before installation.

Many Thanks!
Nov 3, 2007 at 2:09 PM
I was using the two HPC without any attaches like CF cards and wireless and i installed the soft to the DEFAULT folder(program files\...)

the hp690 contains an English version WINCE while for the NEC R730 it is Japanese.

but I was using hacked wince.nls files on the two machine since I need to type in Chinese on the HPCs.

does it matter?

Thanks...
Nov 3, 2007 at 2:41 PM
I tried installing it to another HP690 with a clear Japanese WINCE without the wince.nls hacked and succeeded in the end.

but I'd never found any program has compatible errors with the hacked wince.nls file before this.

Who can help me???
Nov 8, 2007 at 5:28 AM
I tested it on my jornada 690 and the hello world program worked fine. even better, i was able to build for it in vs2005 and my simple forms application worked, however, i have no idea how to program in .net or with forms, any help in getting started would be appreciated.

Great work guys, keep it up and thanks for your effort!
Nov 10, 2007 at 4:50 AM
someone2b: May I ask.. How were you able to compile something for the NETCFv1.0 when VS2005 only claims to be able to compile for the NETCF (and desktop .NET) 2.0? Thanks!

Nov 12, 2007 at 5:54 PM
Edited Nov 12, 2007 at 5:57 PM
if i recall correctly (i'm not home at the moment), I chose visual c# -> smart device -> pocketpc2003 -> device application (1.0), which i assumed meant .net 1.0.
since i'm using a jornada 690 , i manually sized the form to 640X240, and just tried a few buttons etc. and it compiled and ran on my 690, (when renamed *.net).

it also appears that the smartphone2003 apps are limited to 1.0 in vs2005.
Nov 12, 2007 at 5:58 PM
I don't suppose anyone knows of some sort of .net compact framework open source collection?