Testing .NET CF 1.0 SP3 (Windows CE 2.11)

Dec 19, 2007 at 8:19 AM
I've uninstalled the original release of .NET CF 1.0 for CE 2.11 and installed the SP3 version on my IZZI Pro (MIPS) and Jornada 820 (ARM). However, the "HelloWorld" application won't open on either device now (it opened fine on the IZZI Pro using the original release). On the 820, I get the same error message I got with the original release: ". . . not a valid Windows CE application." On the IZZI Pro, I get the error message "Application netexec.exe has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. . . ."
Coordinator
Dec 20, 2007 at 10:47 PM
I have updated the ARM and MIPS releases. Please try them out.

CE_Geek wrote:
I've uninstalled the original release of .NET CF 1.0 for CE 2.11 and installed the SP3 version on my IZZI Pro (MIPS) and Jornada 820 (ARM). However, the "HelloWorld" application won't open on either device now (it opened fine on the IZZI Pro using the original release). On the 820, I get the same error message I got with the original release: ". . . not a valid Windows CE application." On the IZZI Pro, I get the error message "Application netexec.exe has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. . . ."

Dec 22, 2007 at 8:49 AM
I'm afraid I'm still getting the same result on the MIPS device (illegal operation error message), and I'm now getting the illegal operation error message on the ARM device (rather than the above "not a valid CE app" message) as well.
Coordinator
Dec 22, 2007 at 5:30 PM
Could you try the not SP3 version on the same device?

CE_Geek wrote:
I'm afraid I'm still getting the same result on the MIPS device (illegal operation error message), and I'm now getting the illegal operation error message on the ARM device (rather than the above "not a valid CE app" message) as well.

Dec 22, 2007 at 9:35 PM
Edited Dec 22, 2007 at 9:57 PM
Okay, I tried the updated versions of the original (non-SP3) release as you suggested, and HelloWorld works fine in both the ARM and MIPS devices. I hope the SP3 version can be made to work, though, as I hope to be able to run existing .NET CF 1.0 apps on these devices.
Coordinator
Dec 24, 2007 at 9:37 PM
I have updated almost all SP3 releases and I did limited testing with ARM device.
Dec 25, 2007 at 9:23 AM
I'm still getting the netexec.exe illegal operation message with the new SP3 release in both ARM and MIPS CE 2.11 devices (ARM address: 01044b00; MIPS address: 00f9a040).
Coordinator
Dec 26, 2007 at 6:35 PM
Could you make sure that no files from the old release are still present in the system before installing the new release? It is best if you could reset the device to the initial state before doing the install.
Dec 26, 2007 at 8:41 PM
I uninstalled the .NET CF versions on each device (via Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Remove Programs) before installing the new SP3 release, and there was no notification of any files not deleted. I have a spare 820 and a couple of other MIPS 2.11 H/PCs that I haven't tried any .NET CF installs on; I can try those.
Coordinator
Dec 26, 2007 at 10:02 PM
I've got it working on iPAQ 3.00 ARM and on the ARM emulator 4.21. Make sure before you install it that you don't have core200.dll, netexec.exe or cgacutil.exe left behind from the previous installation.
Dec 27, 2007 at 12:16 AM
Edited Dec 28, 2007 at 9:36 PM
I just tried on my MainStreet Networks Clio C-1050, and I'm still getting the illegal operation error message (with a slightly different address from the first MIPS device I tried it on [Samsung IZZI Pro] - on the Clio, the address is 00d9a040). This was the first install of any version of .NET CF on the Clio.
Coordinator
Dec 27, 2007 at 6:50 PM
OK, since I don't have the device I need your help to get this done. Lets try and isolate the dll responsible for that. It is most probably the NETCFAGL1_0.dll. Try these steps: 1. Run cgacutil.exe, _cgacutil.exe and netexec.exe with no parameters and see if you get any errors.
2. Remove the NETCFAGL10.dll and run them again. (You could just rename the NETCFAGL10.dll to something else.)
Repeat the two steps for 2.11 ARM and MISP SP3.
Dec 28, 2007 at 7:20 AM
Edited Dec 28, 2007 at 7:23 AM
Okay, I want to make sure I understand your instructions correctly. I opened the Run dialog and entered "cgacutil.exe _cgacutil.exe" (without the quotes) and then tapped OK. Nothing happened. Then I reopened the Run dialog and entered "netexec.exe" and then tapped OK. Again nothing. I then went into \Windows and renamed netcfagl1_0.dll to netcfagl1_1.dll and tried the above entries in the Run dialog again. Again, nothing visible happened. (This was on the MIPS device with SP3 - I haven't tried it yet on the ARM device.)
Coordinator
Dec 28, 2007 at 4:07 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear. To run them browse to \windows and double click cgacutil.exe. It should display dialog with the version of the framework. Do the same with cgacutil.exe. It should show the same dialog. Repeat all that but this time with no NETCFAGL10.dll. Thanks again for doing that.
Dec 28, 2007 at 9:34 PM
Neither one does anything when tapped on, with or without netcfagl1_0.dll.
Coordinator
Dec 28, 2007 at 10:24 PM
This is on MIPS 211 right? How about ARM 211?
Coordinator
Dec 30, 2007 at 1:11 AM
Edited Dec 30, 2007 at 1:13 AM
Could you try with the MIPS 200 SP3 on your wince211 device?
Dec 30, 2007 at 8:37 PM
In answer to the first two questions: I've tried this on both the ARM and MIPS devices, with the same results.

Re: trying the CE 2.00 version: I haven't tried that yet. I'll do so as soon as I get a chance.
Coordinator
Dec 31, 2007 at 3:02 AM
Could you get the exact windows version and processor number from the system info?
Coordinator
Jan 2, 2008 at 12:54 AM
I have updated all 2.11 SP3 releases.
Apr 8, 2008 at 11:28 AM
Edited Apr 8, 2008 at 10:03 PM
For what it's worth, I've tried installing the most up-to-date version of .NET CF 1.0 SP3 for CE 2.11 on three of my CE 2.11 Palm-size PCs: Casio Cassiopeia E-15 (MIPS, monochrome), Compaq Aero 2180 (MIPS), and HP Jornada 430SE (SH3). The HelloWorld app works fine on all three, with one small issue: while the maximized version fits the 240x320 screen perfectly, the restored-down version is wider than the screen. (Not a big surprise since I assume that it was written primarily for Handheld PCs and not Palm-size PCs.) Needless to say, if the app is minimized, one has to go into a task manager to bring it back up or close it, since the Palm-size PC, like the Pocket PC, doesn't have process buttons in its truncated taskbar.